History of Our Division

Our Mining Engineering Department, which was established in order to graduate engineers and to develop methods for the recovery of our surface and underground resources from the aspects of technology, economy and the environment, was firstly opened in 1972 as a different discipline within the constitution of Ege University, Faculty of Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering. Although the formal education pioneered in the month of October of the same year, the department was only able to complete its set up in 1975. The Mining Engineering Department, which was connected to the Faculty of Mechanics in 1978, moved to the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture with the establishment of Dokuz Eylul University in 1982. At present, our department is structurally affiliated with the Faculty of Engineering of Dokuz Eylul University and provides formal education and also secondary (evening) education since the year 1992. The department that attempts to keep up with the innovations of the era has therefore passed to English-aided education in 1997-1998 in this context and the total education period increased to 5 years with an additional English preparatory class.

The Department, which had very limited academic staff and laboratory facilities in the beginning, developed itself hugely in time and in our day it consists of 41 academic staff who serves under the divisions of Mining Engineering, Mineral Processing and Mine Mechanization and Technology. Our department also contains Ore Microscopy, X-Ray Diffraction, Mineral Processing, Mine Planning, Chemistry, Rock Mechanics, Flotation, Ceramic Technology and Extractive Metallurgy laboratories surpassing its equivalent departments in Turkey.

The Department, which gave the first graduates back in 1977, graduated over 1400 mining engineers up to date. In our day, currently 473 students are studying mining engineering as major both in formal and evening education programs. In addition to this, the department has graduated about 100 M.Sc. and 40 Ph.D. engineers since its establishment.